How to make quilling sprigs using a hair brush


I remember making these sprigs of leaves for the first time after learning how to make them last year from watching YouTube video tutorials made by a quilling artist. If I am not mistaken it was a video made by Anastasia Wahalatantiri. She is an amazing quilling artist and I really admire her work.

Anyways, I received a lot of requests from my followers for me to make a video tutorial of it too after I posted photos of the quilled sprigs that I made last year. Although I wanted to do it as soon as I could but I always find it hard to find a suitable quiet time alone at home to do it. 

So after a year since then, I finally get to make it this month! Yay! Truth is, my video tutorials are actually not only made for my followers but they are also made for me! Yes, me. Because sometimes I might forget how I made the quilling design after a few years and so it is good for me to record how I made it in the first place. Haha! Sad but true! So it's always nice to get to see and reminded of how I made it before by yours truly instead of being reminded by someone else.

I bought the foldable hair brush and comb from MR DIY. It's pretty cheap and easy to use for making the quilling sprigs. The quilling papers that I used are papers that I cut with the mini paper shredder machine. I pretty much use a lot of shredded papers for quilling instead of store bought ones. They are 80gsm type of paper and I realised that if you use thicker quilling papers for this technique it would be better. The sprigs would look a lot nicer and stand out. I tried using 120gsm paper before and it works really well.

You can also use more than one colour paper at a time so that the sprigs don't look too plain. I've tried to use two different colours to make a sprig and I really loved it. It's not that hard to do two quilling papers at a time. 


You could also make bigger size sprigs that would look just like big ferns just by using a much longer quilling paper, which means you would have to glue two or more of those shredded papers together and deciding how many pins on the brush that you would use to make the leaves long or short.


You can also use different colour of green papers, cut them up in smaller lengths, and then join them up together to get a very long strip so that you can turn it into leaves like you see at the photo above.

Below is the video I made and I do hope you will enjoy watching it as much as I enjoyed making it for you. Do give it a try too! :)

7 comments:

Yuyun said...

thanks for the tutorial kak Lin!

Azlina Abdul said...

You're welcome Yu Yun :)

HeNRieTTa JoSe said...

they are nice...u r so creative as usual kak lin...

Unknown said...

Where do you find that brush? Been looking for years for one.

Azlina Abdul said...

Henrietta...thank you so much! :)

Azlina Abdul said...

Unknown...I bought it at a supermarket in the department where they sell hairbrushes.

Unknown said...

Thanks for teaching me. You are great.

Featured Post

How to make two tone tear drop shape quilling flowers

We are coming close to mid February and I'm blogging about something that I did last January! LOL! It's been a month sin...